Association of multiple mineral and vitamin B group intake with blood glucose using quantile regression analysis: NHANES 2007–2014
Background: Hyperglycaemia and diabetes have become major public health problems worldwide. There is increasing evidence that minerals and the vitamin B group might play specific roles in hyperglycaemia and the pathogenesis and progression of diabetes or metabolic complications.
Objectives: The main aim of this study is to investigate the effect of mineral and vitamin B group supplementation on the blood glucose levels of different populations.
Design: This was a cross-sectional study. Data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) 2007–2014 were used in this study. A total of 8,322 participants (4,169 men and 4,153 women) were included in the study. Quantile regression (QR) was performed to identify the influence of mineral and vitamin B group intake on the level of fasting plasma glucose (FPG) in individuals in different quantiles of FPG.
Results: After adjusting for age, income, education, race, smoking, and alcohol consumption, FPG had a negative association with folic acid in individuals with normal or high FPG, with calcium in individuals with normal FPG, and with magnesium in males. FPG was negatively associated with folic acid and calcium in individuals with normal FPG, and magnesium in most of the quantiles for females. Discussion: Hyperglycaemia and diabetes are currently becoming popular research topics. However, little is known about how the whole continuum of blood glucose is associated with commonly researched nutrient supplementation in terms of hyperglycaemia and diabetes.
Conclusions: The intake of calcium, folic acid and magnesium was negatively associated with blood glucose levels in individuals in different quantiles of FPG. Appropriate prevention and treatment strategies should be developed for people with different blood glucose levels.
- Lin JN, Tsai YS, Lai CH, Chen YH, Tsai SS, Lin HL, et al. Risk factors for mortality of bacteremic patients in the emergency department. Acad Emerg Med 2009;16(8):749–55. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2009.00468.x.
- del Rio A, Cervera C, Moreno A, Moreillon P, Miro JM. Patients at risk of complications of Staphylococcus aureus bloodstream infection. Clin Infect Dis 2009; 48(Suppl 4): S246–53. doi: 10.1086/598187.
- Leroy O, Gangneux JP, Montravers P, Mira JP, Gouin F, Sollet JP, et al. Epidemiology, management, and risk factors for death of invasive Candida infections in critical care: a multicenter, prospective, observational study in France (2005–2006). Crit Care Med 2009;37(5):1612–8. doi: 10.1097/CCM.0b013e31819efac0.
- Brownlee M. Biochemistry and molecular cell biology of diabetic complications. Nature 2001; 414(6865): 813–20. doi: 10.1038/414813a.
- WHO. Global action plan for the prevention and control of noncommunicable diseases 2013–2020. Available from: http://www.who.int/nmh/publications/ncd-action-plan/en/ [cited 30 April 2019].
- Zhou B, Lu Y, Hajifathalian K, Bentham J, Cesare MD, Danaei G, et al. Worldwide trends in diabetes since 1980: a pooled analysis of 751 population-based studies with 4.4 million participants. Lancet (London, England) 2016;387(10027): 1513–30. doi: 10.1016/s0140-6736(16)00618-8.
- Danaei G, Lu Y, Singh GM, Carnahan E, Stevens GA, Cowan MJ, et al. Cardiovascular disease, chronic kidney disease, and diabetes mortality burden of cardiometabolic risk factors from 1980 to 2010: a comparative risk assessment. Lancet Diab Endocrinol 2014;2(8): 634–47. doi: 10.1016/s2213-8587(14)70102-0.
- Seuring T, Archangelidi O, Suhrcke M. The economic costs of type 2 diabetes: a global systematic review. PharmacoEconomics 2015; 33(8): 811–31. doi: 10.1007/s40273-015-0268-9.
- Serdar MA, Bakir F, Hasimi A, Celik T, Akin O, Kenar L, et al. Trace and toxic element patterns in nonsmoker patients with noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus, impaired glucose tolerance, and fasting glucose. Int J Diabetes Dev Ctries 2009;29(1): 35–40. doi: 10.4103/0973-3930.50713.
- Yamaguchi T, Kanazawa I, Takaoka S, Sugimoto T. Serum calcium is positively correlated with fasting plasma glucose and insulin resistance, independent of parathyroid hormone, in male patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Metabolism 2011; 60(9): 1334–9. doi: 10.1016/j.metabol.2011.02.003.
- Barbagallo M, Dominguez LJ, Galioto A, Ferlisi A, Cani C, Malfa L, et al. Role of magnesium in insulin action, diabetes and cardio-metabolic syndrome X. Mol Aspects Med 2003;24(1–3): 39–52. doi: 10.1016/S0098-2997(02)00090-0.
- Saris NE, Mervaala E, Karppanen H, Khawaja JA, Lewenstam A. Magnesium. An update on physiological, clinical and analytical aspects. Clin Chim Acta 2000; 294(1–2): 1–26. doi: 10.1016/S0009-8981(99)00258-2.
- Rutter GA. Think zinc: new roles for zinc in the control of insulin secretion. Islets 2010; 2(1): 49–50. doi: 10.4161/isl.2.1.10259.
- Prabodh S, Prakash DS, Sudhakar G, Chowdary NV, Desai V, Shekhar R. Status of copper and magnesium levels in diabetic nephropathy cases: a case-control study from South India. Biol Trace Elem Res 2011; 142(1): 29–35. doi: 10.1007/s12011-010-8750-x.
- Kazi TG, Afridi HI, Kazi N, Jamali MK, Arain MB, Jalbani N, et al. Copper, chromium, manganese, iron, nickel, and zinc levels in biological samples of diabetes mellitus patients. Biological trace element research 2008;122(1):1–18. doi: 10.1007/s12011-007-8062-y.
- Saber LM, Youseef AM, Abdellatif MS, Abdel-Wahhab KG. Assessment of some major minerals and trace elements levels in female patients with type II diabetes mellitus and their correlation with glycated hemoglobin. Middle East J Appl Sci 2014; 4(2): 345–356.
- Nix WA, Zirwes R, Bangert V, Kaiser RP, Schilling M, Hostalek U, et al. Vitamin B status in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus with and without incipient nephropathy. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2015;107(1):157–65. doi: 10.1016/j.diabres.2014.09.058.
- Sudchada P, Saokaew S, Sridetch S, Incampa S, Jaiyen S, Khaithong W. Effect of folic acid supplementation on plasma total homocysteine levels and glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2012; 98(1): 151–8. doi: 10.1016/j.diabres.2012.05.027.
- Satyanarayana A, Balakrishna N, Pitla S, Reddy PY, Mudili S, Lopamudra P, et al. Status of B-vitamins and homocysteine in diabetic retinopathy: association with vitamin-B12 deficiency and hyperhomocysteinemia. PLoS One 2011;6(11):e26747. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0026747.
- Al-Attas OS, Al-Daghri NM, Alfadda AA, Abd-Alrahman SH, Sabico S. Blood thiamine and its phosphate esters as measured by high-performance liquid chromatography: levels and associations in diabetes mellitus patients with varying degrees of microalbuminuria. J Endocrinol Invest 2012; 35(11): 951–6. doi: 10.3275/8126.
- Xu H, Li S, Song X, Li Z, Zhang D. Exploration of the association between dietary fiber intake and depressive symptoms in adults. Nutrition 2018;54:48–53. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2018.03.009.
- Ghi T, Cariello L, Rizzo L, Ferrazzi E, Periti E, Prefumo F, et al. Customized Fetal Growth Charts for Parents’ Characteristics, Race, and parity by quantile regression analysis: a cross-sectional multicenter Italian study. J Ultrasound Med 2016;35(1):83–92. doi: 10.7863/ultra.15.03003.
- Centers for Disease C, and Prevention. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Survey Methods and Analytic Guidelines. Available from: https://wwwn.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/analyticguidelines.aspx [cited 30 April 2019].
- Centers for Disease C, and Prevention. National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Questionnaires, Datasets, and Related Documentation. Available from: https://wwwn.cdc.gov/nchs/nhanes/Default.aspx [cited 30 April 2019].
- Umpierrez GE, Hellman R, Korytkowski MT, Kosiborod M, Maynard GA, Montori VM, et al. Management of hyperglycemia in hospitalized patients in non-critical care setting: an endocrine society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2012;97(1):16–38. doi: 10.1210/jc.2011-2098.
- Roger K. Quantreg: quantile regression. R Package Version 2016;101(475):712–8. doi: 10.1017/CBO9780511754098.
- Roger. K. Quantreg: an R package for quantile regression and related methods. Available from: http://cran.r-project.org [cited 30 April 2019].
- Zhao JV, Schooling CM, Zhao JX. The effects of folate supplementation on glucose metabolism and risk of type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Ann Epidemiol 2018; 28(4): 249.e1–57.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.annepidem.2018.02.001.
- Gargari BP, Aghamohammadi V, Aliasgharzadeh A. Effect of folic acid supplementation on biochemical indices in overweight and obese men with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2011; 94(1): 33–8. doi: 10.1016/j.diabres.2011.07.003.
- Viswanathan M, Treiman KA, Kish-Doto J, Middleton JC, Coker-Schwimmer EJ, Nicholson WK. Folic acid supplementation for the prevention of neural tube defects: an updated evidence report and systematic review for the US Preventive Services Task Force. JAMA 2017; 317(2): 190–203. doi: 10.1001/jama.2016.19193.
- Isaia G, Giorgino R, Adami S. High prevalence of hypovitaminosis D in female type 2 diabetic population. Diabetes Care 2001;24(8):1496. doi: 10.2337/diacare.24.8.1496.
- Xu G, Chen J, Jing G, Shalev A. Preventing beta-cell loss and diabetes with calcium channel blockers. Diabetes 2012; 61(4): 848–56. doi: 10.2337/db11-0955.
- Pittas AG, Dawson-Hughes B, Li T, Van Dam RM, Willett WC, Manson JE, et al. Vitamin D and calcium intake in relation to type 2 diabetes in women. Diabetes Care 2006;29(3): 650–6. doi: 10.2337/diacare.29.03.06.dc05-1961.
- Liu S, Song Y, Ford ES, Manson JE, Buring JE, Ridker PM. Dietary calcium, vitamin D, and the prevalence of metabolic syndrome in middle-aged and older U.S. women. Diabetes Care 2005;28(12): 2926–32. doi: 10.2337/diacare.28.12.2926.
- Gagnon C, Lu ZX, Magliano DJ, Dunstan DW, Shaw JE, Zimmet PZ, et al. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D, calcium intake, and risk of type 2 diabetes after 5 years: results from a national, population-based prospective study (the Australian Diabetes, Obesity and Lifestyle study). Diabetes Care 2011;34(5):1133–8. doi: 10.2337/dc10-2167.
- Pittas AG, Lau J, Hu FB, Dawson-Hughes B. The role of vitamin D and calcium in type 2 diabetes. A systematic review and meta-analysis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2007; 92(6): 2017–29. doi: 10.1210/jc.2007-0298.
- Kommoju UJ, Reddy BM. Genetic etiology of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a review. Int J Diabetes Dev Ctries 2011;31(2): 51–64. doi: 10.1007/s13410-011-0020-8.
- Schulze MB, Schulz M, Heidemann C, Schienkiewitz A, Hoffmann K, Boeing H. Fiber and magnesium intake and incidence of type 2 diabetes: a prospective study and meta-analysis. Arch Intern Med 2007; 167(9): 956–65. doi: 10.1001/archinte.167.9.956.
- Larsson SC, Wolk A. Magnesium intake and risk of type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis. J Inter Med 2007; 262(2): 208–14. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2796.2007.01840.x.
- Dong JY, Xun P, He K, Qin LQ. Magnesium intake and risk of type 2 diabetes: meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies. Diabetes Care 2011; 34(9): 2116–22. doi: 10.2337/dc11-0518.
- Fang X, Han H, Li M, Liang C, Fan Z, Aaseth J, et al. Dose–response relationship between dietary magnesium intake and risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus: a systematic review and meta-regression analysis of prospective cohort studies. J Trace Elem Med Biol 2016;8(11): 64. doi: 10.3390/nu8110739.
- Walti MK, Zimmermann MB, Walczyk T, Spinas GA, Hurrell RF. Measurement of magnesium absorption and retention in type 2 diabetic patients with the use of stable isotopes. Am J Clin Nutr 2003; 78(3): 448–53. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/78.3.448.
- Gunther T. Magnesium in bone and the magnesium load test. Magnes Res 2011; 24(4): 223–4. doi: 10.1684/mrh.2011.0297.
- Barbagallo M, Dominguez LJ. Magnesium metabolism in type 2 diabetes mellitus, metabolic syndrome and insulin resistance. Arch Biochem Biophys 2007; 458(1): 40–7. doi: 10.1016/j.abb.2006.05.007.
- Morais JBS, Severo JS, de Alencar GRR, de Oliveira ARS, Cruz KJC, Marreiro DdN, et al. Effect of magnesium supplementation on insulin resistance in humans: a systematic review. Nutrition (Burbank, Los Angeles County, Calif) 2017;38: 54. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2017.01.009.
- Verma H, Garg R. Effect of magnesium supplementation on type 2 diabetes associated cardiovascular risk factors: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Hum Nutr Diet 2017;30(5): 621–33. doi: 10.1111/jhn.12454.
- Barbagallo M, Dominguez LJ, Unit G. Magnesium and type 2 diabetes. World J Diabetes 2015;6(10):1152–7. doi: 10.4239/wjd.v6.i10.1152.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
Authors retain copyright of their work, with first publication rights granted to SNF Swedish Nutrition Foundation.