Is overnight fresh juice drinkable? The shelf life prediction of non-industrial fresh watermelon juice based on the nutritional quality, microbial safety quality, and sensory quality
Objective: The aim of this study was to obtain the time range of non-industrial fresh watermelon juice (FWJ), which is widely used in the catering industry under different storage conditions, with safe-drinkable quality, and the drinking time range of fresh juice with good nutritional quality and sensory quality.
Method: The quality of non-industrial FWJ was audited by assessing the shelf life of non-industrial FWJ through microbial safety, nutritional, and sensory quality investigating during 24 h of storage at 4, 25, and 37°C.
Results: According to the microbial safety quality, the safe drinking time of FWJ was within 12, 4, and 4 h when stored at 4, 25, and 37°C, respectively. Based on the nutritional and sensory quality, FWJ was drinking with good quality within 2 h, and with just acceptable quality for no more than 4 h when stored at 4 or 25°C. Electronic nose and gas chromatography–mass spectrometry (GC–MS) could effectively distinguish and identify the changes in volatile components in FWJ under different storage conditions.
Conclusion: It is a feasible method to predict the shelf life of non-industrial FWJ by this method, and hence to guarantee non-industrial FWJ being drinking with safety and health, and it might be used in many other fresh juice shelf life predictions.
- Sun X, Cheng X, Zhang J, Ju Y, Que Z, Liao X, et al. Letting wine polyphenols functional: estimation of wine polyphenols bioaccessibility under different drinking amount and drinking patterns. Food Res. Int 2020; 127: 108704. doi: 10.1016/j.foodres.2019.108704
- Kaddumukasa P, Imathiu S, Mathara J, Nakavuma J. Influence of physicochemical parameters on storage stability: microbiological quality of fresh unpasteurized fruit juices. Food Sci Nutr 2017; 5(6): 1098–105. doi: 10.1002/fsn3.500
- Koutchma T, Popovic´ V, Ros-Polski V, Popielarz A. Effects of ultraviolet light and high-pressure processing on quality and health-related constituents of fresh juice products. Compr Rev Food Sci F 2016; 15(5): 844–67. doi: 10.1111/1541-4337.12214
- Liu Y, He C, Song H. Comparison of fresh watermelon juice aroma characteristics of five varieties based on gas chromatography-olfactometry-mass spectrometry. Food Res Int 2018; 107: 119–29. doi: 10.1016/j.foodres.2018.02.022
- Álvaro L, Ana C, Liliana G, Ivonne D, Jorge A. Extension of raw watermelon juice shelf-life up to 58 days by hyperbaric storage. Food Chem 2017; 231: 61–69. doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.03.110
- Lu Q. Study on shelf, the rules of change of fresh juices in F&B and their HACCP systems. Beijing: China Agricultural University; 2011.
- Radka D, Monika M, Jakub H, Iva S, Hana V, Hana K, et al. Occurrence of selected viral, bacterial and protozoan pathogens in fresh juices and smoothies in Prague, Czech Republic. Food Contr 2018; 93: 310–14. doi: 10.1016/j.foodcont.2018.05.015
- Cerna-Cortes J, Cortes-Cueto A, Cano-Gaona M, Iva S, Hana V, Hana K, et al. Microbiological quality and occurrence of nontuberculous mycobacteria in fresh-squeezed orange juice samples purchased from street vendors in Mexico city. J. Food Protect 2016; 79(12): 2190–5. doi: 10.4315/0362-028X.JFP-16-197
- Tafere G, Desaleegn A. Microbial load and safety of locally prepared fresh fruit juices in Cafeteria and restaurants in Mekelle city, Northern Ethiopia. Adissu. Indian J Tradit Know 2017; 16(4): 598–604.
- Ma T, Tian C, Luo J, Sun X, Quan M, Zheng C, et al. Influence of technical processing units on α-carotene, β-carotene and lutein of carrot (Daucus carrot L.) juice. J Funct Foods 2015; 16: 104–13. doi: 10.1016/j.jff.2015.04.020
- Héctor E, Ma G, Daniela B, Prashant R, Gustavo V. Physico-chemical parameters, bioactive compounds and microbial quality of thermo-sonicated carrot juice during storage. Food Chem 2015; 172: 650–6. doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.09.072
- Ma T, Sun X, Tian C, Zheng Y, Zheng C, Zhan J. Chemical composition and hepatoprotective effects of polyphenols extracted from the stems and leaves of Sphallerocarpus gracilis. J Funct Foods 2015; 18: 673–83. doi: 10.1016/j.jff.2015.09.001
- Ma T, Lan T, Ju Y, Cheng G, Que Z, Geng T, et al. Comparison of the nutritional properties and biological activities of kiwifruit (Actinidia) and their different forms of products: towards making kiwifruit more nutritious and functional. Food Funct 2019; 10: 1317–29. doi: 10.1039/c8fo02322k
- Zhang Y, Liu X, Wang Y, Zhao F, Sun Z, Liao X. Quality comparison of carrot juices processed by high-pressure processing and high-temperature short-time processing. Innov Food Sci Emerg 2016; 33: 135–44. doi: 10.1016/j.ifset.2015.10.012
- Wan Y, Xu M, Gilbert R, Yin J, Huang X, Xiong T, et al. Colloid chemistry approach to understand the storage stability of fermented carrot juice. Food Hydrocolloid 2019; 89: 623–30. doi: 10.1016/j.foodhyd.2018.11.017
- Wang L, Wang P, Deng W, Cai J, Chen J. Evaluation of aroma characteristics of sugarcane (Saccharum officinarum L.) juice using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry and electronic nose. LWT-Food Sci Technol 2019; 108: 400–6. doi: 10.1016/j.lwt.2019.03.089
- Ma T, Luo J, Tian C, Sun X, Quan M, Zheng C, et al. Influence of technical processing units on chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of carrot (Daucus carrot L.) juice essential oil. Food Chemistry 2015; 170: 394–400. doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.08.018
- Sun X, Wei X, Zhang J, Ge Q, Liang Y, Ju Y, et al. Biomass estimation and physicochemical characterization of winter vine prunings in the Chinese and global grape and wine industries. Waste Manage 2020; 104: 119–29. doi: 10.1016/j.wasman.2020.01.018
- Carlo A, Moreira G, Fidalgo D, Santos V, Ivonne D, Jorge A. Impact of different hyperbaric storage conditions on microbial, physicochemical and enzymatic parameters of watermelon juice. Food Res Int 2017; 99: 123–32. doi: 10.1016/j.foodres.2017.05.010
- Carlos P, Moreira L, Fidalgo M, Santos I, Jorge A. Shelf-life extension of watermelon juice preserved by hyperbaric storage at room temperature compared to refrigeration. LWT-Food Sci Technol 2016; 72: 78–80. doi: 10.1016/j.lwt.2016.04.036
- Feng M, Ghafoor K, Seo B, Yang K, Park J. Effects of ultraviolet-C treatment in Teflon®-coil on microbial populations and physico-chemical characteristics of watermelon juice. Innov Food Sci Emerg 2013; 19: 133–9. doi: 10.1016/j.ifset.2013.05.005
- Ain M, Yusof Y, Chin N, Dom Z. Storage study of arenga pinnata juice. Agr Agr Sci Procedia 2014; 2: 218–23. doi: 10.1016/j.aaspro.2014.11.031
- Wang C, Lin Y, Ramaswamy H, Ge L, Hu F, Zhu S, et al. Storage stability of Chinese bayberry juice after high pressure or thermal treatment. J Food Process Pres 2015; 39(6): 2259–66. doi: 10.1111/jfpp.12471
- Mgaya-Kilima B, Remberg S, Chove B, Wicklund T. Physiochemical and antioxidant properties of roselle-mango juice blends: effects of packaging material, storage temperature and time. Food Sci Nutr 2015; 3(2): 100–09. doi: 10.1002/fsn3.174
- Unluturk S, Atilgan M. Microbial safety and shelf life of uv-c treated freshly squeezed white grape juice. J. Food Sci 2015; 80(8): 183141. doi: 10.1111/1750-3841.12952
- Rawson A, Tiwari B, Brunton A, Brennan C, Cullen P, O'Donnell C. Effect of thermosonication on bioactive compounds in watermelon juice. Food Res Int 2011; 44(5): 1168–73. doi: 10.1016/j.foodres.2010.07.005
- Oms-Oliu G, Odriozola-Serrano I, Soliva-Fortuny R, Martín-Belloso O. Effects of high-intensity pulsed electric field processing conditions on lycopene, vitamin C and antioxidant capacity of watermelon juice. Food Chem 2009; 115(4): 1312–19. doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2009.01.049
- Hocine R, Christian M, Amine B, Nawel A, Manuel D, Khodir M. Degradation kinetic modelling of ascorbic acid and colour intensity in pasteurised blood orange juice during storage. Food Chem 2015; 173: 665–73. doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2014.10.069
- Zhang Y, Gao B, Zhang M, Shi J, Xu Y. Pulsed electric field processing effects on physicochemical properties, flavor compounds and microorganisms of longan juice. J Food Process Pres 2010; 34(6): 1121–38. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-4549.2009.00441.x
- Anna V, Sara A, Alexander M, Isidre C, Rosa M. Changes in phenolic content of tomato products during storage. J Agr Food Chem 2011; 59(17): 9358–65. doi: 10.1021/jf202140j
- Paulina N, Mirosława T, Aneta W. Changes of peach juices during the shelf-life and their in vitro effect on glycolipid digestion and neurotransmitter metabolism. Int J Food Sci Tech 2019; 54(5): 1865–73. doi: 10.1111/ijfs.14091
- Carrie H, Elaine J, Drew W. Can pure fruit and vegetable juices protect against cancer and cardiovascular disease too? A review of the evidence. Int J Food Sci Nutr 2006; 57(3/4): 249–272. doi: 10.1080/09637480600858134
- Klimczak I, Małecka M, Szlachta M, Gliszczyńska-Świgło A. Effect of storage on the content of polyphenols, vitamin C and the antioxidant activity of orange juices. J Food Compos Anal 2007; 20(3–4): 313–22. doi: 10.1016/j.jfca.2006.02.012
- Zou H, Lin T, Bi X, Zhao L, Wang Y, Liao X. Comparison of high hydrostatic pressure, high-pressure carbon dioxide and high-temperature short-time processing on quality of mulberry juice. Food Bioprocess Tech 2016; 9: 217–31. doi: 10.1007/s11947-015-1606-9
- Guan Y, Zhou L, Bi J, Yi J, Liu X, Chen Q, et al. Change of microbial and quality attributes of mango juice treated by high pressure homogenization combined with moderate inlet temperatures during storage. Innov Food Sci Emerg 2016; 36: 320–9. doi: 10.1016/j.ifset.2016.07.009
- Gottfried K, Mathias K, Manfred G, Regine S, Emmerich B. Effect of thermal treatment on the quality of cloudy apple juice. J Agr Food Chem 2006; 54(15): 5453–60. doi: 10.1021/jf0606858
- Chen D, Pan S, Chen J, Pang X, Guo X, Gao L, et al. Comparing the effects of high hydrostatic pressure and ultrahigh temperature on quality and shelf life of cloudy ginger juice. Food Bioprocess Tech 2016; 9(10): 1779–93. doi: 10.1007/s11947-016-1759-1
- Amadeo G, Pedro M, Cristina G, Diego A. A novel beverage rich in antioxidant phenolics: Maqui berry (Aristotelia chilensis) and lemon juice. LWT-Food Sci Technol 2012; 47(2): 279–86. doi: 10.1016/j.lwt.2012.01.020
- Calligaris S, Foschia M, Bartolomeoli I, Maifreni M, Manzocco L. Study on the applicability of high-pressure homogenization for the production of banana juices. LWT-Food Sci Technol 2012; 45(1): 117–21. doi: 10.1016/j.lwt.2011.07.026
- Wang Q, Li L, Ding W, Zhang D, Wang J, Reed K, et al. Adulterant identification in mutton by electronic nose and gas chromatography-mass spectrometer. Food Contr 2019; 98: 431–8. doi: 10.1016/j.foodcont.2018.11.038
- Wu H, Wang J, Yue T, Yuan Y. Variety-based discrimination of apple juices by an electronic nose and gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. Int J Food Sci Tech 2017; 52(11): 2324–33. doi: 10.1111/ijfs.13514
- John C, Jeanne M. Characterization and semiquantitative analysis of volatiles in seedless watermelon varieties using solid-phase microextraction. J Agr Food Chem 2006; 54(10): 7789–93. doi: 10.1021/jf0680135
- Jorge A, Rolando M, Juan A. Volatile components of watermelon (Citrullus lanatus [Thunb.] Matsum.et Nakai) Fruit J Essent Oil Res 2003; 15(6): 379–80. doi: 10.1080/10412905.2003.9698616
Authors retain copyright of their work, with first publication rights granted to SNF Swedish Nutrition Foundation. Read the full Copyright- and Licensing Statement.