A novel polysaccharide from the Sarcodon aspratus triggers apoptosis in Hela cells via induction of mitochondrial dysfunction
Background: Polysaccharides extracted from fungus that have been used widely in the food and drugs industries due to biological activities.
Objective: The objective of the present study was to investigate the tumor-suppressive activity and mechanism of a novel polysaccharide (SAP) extracted from Sarcodon aspratus.
Methods: The SAP was extracted and purified using Sepharose CL-4B gel from S. aspratus. The cytotoxicity of SAP on cell lines was determined by MTT method. Cellular migration assays were implemented by using transwell plates. The apoptosis and mitochondrial membrane potential (Δψm) of Hela cells were analyzed by flow cytometry. The western blot was used to determine the protein expression of Hela cells.
Results: The results showed that SAP with a molecular weight of 9.01×105 Da could significantly inhibit the growth of Hela cells in vitro. Three-dimensional cell culture (3D) and transwell assays showed that SAP restrained the multi-cellular spheroids growth and cell migration. Flow cytometry analysis revealed that SAP induced a loss of mitochondrial membrane potential (Δψm). Western blot assays indicated that SAP promoted the release of cytochrome c, increased Bax expression, down-regulated of Bcl-2 expression and activated of caspase-3 expression.
Conclusion: This study suggested that SAP induced Hela cells apoptosis via mitochondrial dysfunction that are critical in events of caspase apoptotic pathways. The anti-tumor (Hela cells) activity of SAP recommended that S. aspratus could be used as a powerful medicinal mushroom against cancer.
- Vieira V, Marques A, Barros L, Barreira J, Ferreira IC. Insights in the antioxidant synergistic effects of combined edible mushrooms: phenolic and polysaccharidic extracts of Boletus edulis and Marasmius oreades. J Food Nutr Res 2012; 51(2): 1196.
- Ren L, Perera C, Hemar Y. Antitumor activity of mushroom polysaccharides: a review. Food Funct 2012; 3(11): 1118.
- Zhao L, Dong Y, Chen G, Hu Q. Extraction, purification, characterization and antitumor activity of polysaccharides from Ganoderma lucidum. Carbohyd Polym 2010; 80: 783–9.
- Santoyo S, Ramiez-Anguiano AC, Aldars-Garcia L, Reglero G, Soler-Rivas C. Antiviral activities of Boletus edulis, Pleurotus ostreatus and Lentinus edodes extracts and polysaccharide fractions against Herpes simplex virus type 1. J Food Nutr Res 2012; 51(4): 225–35.
- Liu Q, Cao XJ, Zhuang XH, Han W, Guo WQ, Xiong J, et al. Rice bran polysaccharides and oligosaccharides modified by Grifola frondosa fermentation: antioxidant activities and effects on the production of NO. Food Chem 2017; 223: 49–53.
- Mizuno M, Shiomi Y, Minato KI, Kawakami S, Ashida H, Tsuchida H. Fucogalactan isolated from Sarcodon aspratus elicits release of tumor necrosis factor-α and nitric oxide from murine macrophages. Immunopharmacology 2000; 46(2): 113–21.
- Han XQ, Wu XM, Chai XY, Chen D, Dai H, Dong HL, et al. Isolation, characterization and immunological activity of a polysaccharide from the fruit bodies of an edible mushroom, Sarcodon aspratus (Berk.) S. Ito. Food Res Int 2011; 44(1): 489–93.
- Chen Y, Hu ML, Wang C, Yang YL, Chen JH, Ding JN, et al. Characterization and in vitro antitumor activity of polysaccharides from the mycelium of Sarcodon aspratus. Int J Biol Macromolec 2013; 52: 52–8.
- Mayevsky A. Mitochondrial function and energy metabolism in cancer cells: past overview and future perspectives. Mitochondrion 2009; 9(3): 165–79.
- Shang D, Li Y, Wang C, Wang X, Yu Z, Fu X. A novel polysaccharide from Se-enriched Ganoderma lucidum induces apoptosis of human breast cancer cells. Oncol Rep 2011; 25: 267–72.
- Nie S, Zhang H, Li W, Xie M. Current development of polysaccharides from Ganoderma: isolation, structure and bioactivities. Bioac Carbohydr Diet Fibre 2013; 1(1): 10–20.
- Liu L, Lu YM, Li XH, Zhou LY, Yang D, Wang LM, et al. A novel process for isolation and purification of the bioactive polysaccharide TLH-3’ from Tricholoma lobayense. Process Biochem 2015; 50: 1146–51.
- Wu X, Mao G, Fan Q, Zhao T, Zhao J, Li F, Yang L. Isolation, purification, immunological and anti-tumor activities of polysaccharides from Gymnema sylvestre. Food Res Int 2012; 48: 935–9.
- Li Y, He Q, Ren X, Tang X, Xu Y, Wen X, et al. MiR-145 inhibits metastasis by targeting fascin actin-bundling protein 1 in nasopharyngeal carcinoma. PLoS One 2015; 10(3): e122228.
- Liu H, Liu J, Qi C, Fang Y, Zhang L, Zhuo R, et al. Thermosensitive injectable in-situ forming carboxymethyl chitin hydrogel for three-dimensional cell culture. Acta Biomater 2016; 35: 228–37.
- Ding Q, Yang D, Zhang W, Lu Y, Zhang M, Wang L, et al. Antioxidant and anti-aging activities of the polysaccharide TLH-3 from Tricholoma lobayense. Int J Biol Macromolec 2016; 85: 133–40.
- Liao W, Lu Y, Fu J, Ning Z, Yang J, Ren J. Preparation and characterization of dictyophora indusiata polysaccharide–Zinc complex and its augmented antiproliferative activity on human cancer cells. J Agr Food Chem 2015; 63(29): 6525–34.
- Zhao T, Mao G, Mao R, Zou Y, Zheng D, Feng W, et al. Antitumor and immunomodulatory activity of a water-soluble low molecular weight polysaccharide from Schisandra chinensis (Turcz.) Baill. Food Chem Toxicol 2013; 55: 609–16.
- Sun X, Gao RL, Xiong YK, Huang QC, Xu M. Antitumor and immunomodulatory effects of a water-soluble polysaccharide from Lilii Bulbus in mice. Carbohyd Polym 2014; 102(1): 543–9.
- Gan D, Ma L, Jiang C, Xu R, Zeng X. Production, preliminary characterization and antitumor activity in vitro of polysaccharides from the mycelium of Pholiota dinghuensis Bi. Carbohyd Polym 2011; 84(3): 997–1003.
- Papageorgis P, Ozturk S, Lambert AW, Neophytou CM, Tzatsos A, Wong CK, et al. Targeting IL13Ralpha2 activates STAT6-TP63 pathway to suppress breast cancer lung metastasis. Breast Cancer Res 2015; 17. Breast Cancer Res 2015; 17: 1–15.
- Page H, Flood P, Reynaud EG. Three-dimensional tissue cultures: current trends and beyond. Cell Tissue Res 2013; 352(1): 123–31.
- Xu X, Farach-Carson MC, Jia X. Three-dimensional in vitro tumor models for cancer research and drug evaluation. Biotechnol Adv 2014; 32(7): 1256–68.
- Padron JM, Van Der Wilt CL, Smid K, Smitskamp-Wilms E, Backus HH, Pizao PE, et al. The multilayered postconfluent cell culture as a model for drug screening. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 2000; 36: 141–57.
- Weinberg SE, Chandel NS. Targeting mitochondria metabolism for cancer therapy. Nat Chem Biol 2014; 11(1): 9–15.
- Ye RR, Tan CP, Ji LN, Mao ZW. Coumarin-appended phosphorescent cyclometalated iridium(iii) complexes as mitochondria-targeted theranostic anticancer agents. Dalton Trans 2016; 45(33): 13042–51.
- Tian Y, Zhao Y, Zeng H, Zhang Y, Zheng B. Structural characterization of a novel neutral polysaccharide from Lentinus giganteus and its antitumor activity through inducing apoptosis. Carbohyd Polym 2016; 154: 231–40.
- Hata AN, Engelman JA, Faber AC. The BCL2 family: key mediators of the apoptotic response to targeted anticancer therapeutics. Cancer Discov 2015; 5(5): 475–87.
- Zhao H, Yenari MA, Cheng D, Sapolsky RM, Steinberg GK. Bcl-2 overexpression protects against neuron loss within the ischemic margin following experimental stroke and inhibits cytochrome c translocation and caspase-3 activity. J Neurochem 2003; 85(4): 1026–36.
- Wu C, Lee S, Malladi S, Chen M, Mastrandrea NJ, Zhang Z, et al. The Apaf-1 apoptosome induces formation of caspase-9 homo- and heterodimers with distinct activities. Nat Commun 2016; 7: 13565.
- Galluzzi L, Kepp O, Kroemer G. Caspase-3 and prostaglandins signal for tumor regrowth in cancer therapy. Oncogene 2012; 31(23): 2805–8.
Authors retain copyright of their work, with first publication rights granted to SNF Swedish Nutrition Foundation. Read the full Copyright- and Licensing Statement.