Sesamol intervention ameliorates obesity-associated metabolic disorders by regulating hepatic lipid metabolism in high-fat diet-induced obese mice
Background: Obesity has currently become a serious social problem to be solved. Sesamol, a natural bioactive substance extracted from sesame oil, has shown multiple physiological functions, and it might have an effect on the treatment of obesity.
Objective: This study was conducted to investigate the therapeutic effect and potential mechanisms of sesamol on the treatment of obesity and metabolic disorders in high-fat diet (HFD)-induced obese mice.
Methods: C57BL/6J male mice were fed HFD for 8 weeks to induce obesity, followed by supplementation with sesamol (100 mg/kg body weight [b.w.]/day [d] by gavage) for another 4 weeks. Hematoxylin and eosin staining was used to observe lipid accumulation in adipose tissues and liver. Chemistry reagent kits were used to measure serum lipids, hepatic lipids, serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT), and aspartate aminotransferase (AST) levels. ELISA kits were used to determine the serum insulin and free fatty acid (FFA) levels. Western blotting was used to detect the protein levels involved in lipid metabolism in the liver.
Results: Sesamol significantly reduced the body weight gain of obese mice and suppressed lipid accumulation in adipose tissue and liver. Sesamol also improved serum and hepatic lipid profiles, and increased insulin sensitivity. In the sesamol-treated group, the levels of serum ALT and AST decreased significantly. Furthermore, after sesamol treatment, the hepatic sterol regulatory element binding protein-1 (SREBP-1c) decreased, while the phosphorylated hormone sensitive lipase (p-HSL), the carnitine palmitoyltransferase 1α (CPT1α), and the peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor coactivator-1α (PGC1α) increased, which were responsible for the fatty acid synthesis, lipolysis, and fatty acid β-oxidation, respectively.
Conclusions: Sesamol had a positive effect on anti-obesity and ameliorated the metabolic disorders of obese mice. The possible mechanism of sesamol might be the regulation of lipid metabolism in the liver.
- Lee YS, Kim SH, Yuk HJ, Lee GJ, Kim DS. Tetragonia tetragonoides (Pall.) Kuntze (New Zealand Spinach) prevents obesity and hyperuricemia in high-fat diet-induced obese mice. Nutrients 2018; 10: 1087. doi: 10.3390/nu10081087.
- Smith KB, Smith MS. Obesity statistics. Primary Care 2016; 43: 121–35. doi: 10.1016/j.pop.2015.10.001.
- Langhi C, Arias N, Rajamoorthi A, Basta J, Lee RG, Baldan A. Therapeutic silencing of fat-specific protein 27 improves glycemic control in mouse models of obesity and insulin resistance. J Lipid Res 2017; 58: 81–91. doi: 10.1194/jlr.M069799.
- Liang YC, Yang MT, Lin CJ, Chang CL, Yang WC. Bidens pilosa and its active compound inhibit adipogenesis and lipid accumulation via down-modulation of the C/EBP and PPARγ pathways. Sci Rep 2016; 6: 24285. doi: 10.1038/srep24285.
- Ma X, Xu L, Alberobello AT, Gavrilova O, Bagattin A, Skarulis M, et al. Celastrol protects against obesity and metabolic dysfunction through activation of a HSF1-PGC1α transcriptional axis. Cell Metab 2015; 22: 695–708. doi: 10.1016/j.cmet.2015.08.005.
- Song NJ, Yun UJ, Yang S, Wu C, Seo CR, Gwon AR, et al. Notch1 deficiency decreases hepatic lipid accumulation by induction of fatty acid oxidation. Sci Rep 2016; 6: 19377. doi: 10.1038/srep19377.
- Wang L, Zhang B, Huang F, Liu B, Xie Y. Curcumin inhibits lipolysis via suppression of ER stress in adipose tissue and prevents hepatic insulin resistance. J Lipid Res 2016; 57: 1243–55. doi: 10.1194/jlr.M067397.
- Shiomi Y, Yamauchi T, Iwabu M, Okada-Iwabu M, Nakayama R, Orikawa Y, et al. A novel Peroxisome Proliferator-Activated Receptor (PPAR)α agonist and PPARγ antagonist, Z-551, ameliorates high-fat diet-induced obesity and metabolic disorders in mice. J Biol Chem 2015; 290: 14567–81. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M114.622191.
- Yang MY, Chan KC, Lee YJ, Chang XZ, Wu CH, Wang CJ. Sechium edule shoot extracts and active components improve obesity and a fatty liver that involved reducing hepatic lipogenesis and adipogenesis in high-fat-diet-fed rats. J Agric Food Chem 2015; 63: 4587–96. doi: 10.1021/acs.jafc.5b00346.
- Lu Y, Liu X, Jiao Y, Xiong X, Wang E, Wang X, et al. Periostin promotes liver steatosis and hypertriglyceridemia through downregulation of PPARα. J Clin Invest 2014; 124: 3501–13. doi: 10.1172/JCI74438.
- Zhong H, Chen K, Feng M, Shao W, Wu J, Chen K. Genipin alleviates high-fat diet-induced hyperlipidemia and hepatic lipid accumulation in mice via miR-142a-5p/SREBP-1c axis. FEBS J 2018; 285: 501–17. doi: 10.1111/febs.14349.
- Wu BN, Kuo KK, Chen YH, Chang CT, Huang HT, Chai CY, et al. Theophylline-based KMUP-1 improves steatohepatitis via MMP-9/IL-10 and lipolysis via HSL/p-HSL in obese mice. Int J Mol Sci 2016; 17: 1345. doi: 10.3390/ijms17081345.
- Woo M, Song YO, Kang KH, Noh JS. Anti-obesity effects of collagen peptide derived from skate (Raja kenojei) skin through regulation of lipid metabolism. Mar Drugs 2018; 16: 306. doi: 10.3390/md16090306.
- Lee YH, Jin B, Lee SH, Song M, Bae H, Min BJ, et al. Herbal formula HT048 attenuates diet-induced obesity by improving hepatic lipid metabolism and insulin resistance in obese rats. Molecules 2016; 21: 1424. doi: 10.3390/molecules21111424.
- Ahn H, Go GW. Pinus densiflora bark extract (PineXol) decreases adiposity in mice by down-regulation of hepatic de novo lipogenesis and adipogenesis in white adipose tissue. J Microbiol Biotechnol 2017; 27: 660–7. doi: 10.4014/jmb.1612.12037.
- Mahendra Kumar C, Singh SA. Bioactive lignans from sesame (Sesamum indicum L.): evaluation of their antioxidant and antibacterial effects for food applications. J Food Sci Technol 2015; 52: 2934–41. doi: 10.1007/s13197-014-1334-6.
- Ying Z, Kherada N, Kampfrath T, Mihai G, Simonetti O, Desikan R, et al. A modified sesamol derivative inhibits progression of atherosclerosis. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2011; 31: 536–42. doi: 10.1161/ATVBAHA.110.219287.
- Shimizu S, Fujii G, Takahashi M, Nakanishi R, Komiya M, Shimura M, et al. Sesamol suppresses cyclooxygenase-2 transcriptional activity in colon cancer cells and modifies intestinal polyp development in Apc (Min/+) mice. J Clin Biochem Nutr 2014; 54: 95–101. doi: 10.3164/jcbn.13-91.
- Hemalatha G, Pugalendi KV, Saravanan R. Modulatory effect of sesamol on DOCA-salt-induced oxidative stress in uninephrectomized hypertensive rats. Mol Cell Biochem 2013; 379: 255–65. doi: 10.1007/s11010-013-1647-1.
- Chennuru A, Saleem MT. Antioxidant, lipid lowering, and membrane stabilization effect of sesamol against doxorubicin-induced cardiomyopathy in experimental rats. Biomed Res Int 2013; 2013: 934239. doi: 10.1155/2013/934239.
- Go G, Sung JS, Jee SC, Kim M, Jang WH, Kang KY, et al. In vitro anti-obesity effects of sesamol mediated by adenosine monophosphate-activated protein kinase and mitogen-activated protein kinase signaling in 3T3-L1 cells. Food Sci Biotechnol 2017; 26: 195–200. doi: 10.1007/s10068-017-0026-1
- Liu Z, Qiao Q, Sun Y, Chen Y, Ren B, Liu X. Sesamol ameliorates diet-induced obesity in C57BL/6J mice and suppresses adipogenesis in 3T3-L1 cells via regulating mitochondria-lipid metabolism. Mol Nutr Food Res 2017; 61: 1600717. doi: 10.1002/mnfr.201600717.
- Pan MH, Chen JW, Kong ZL, Wu JC, Ho CT, Lai CS. Attenuation by tetrahydrocurcumin of adiposity and hepatic steatosis in mice with high-fat-diet-induced obesity. J Agric Food Chem 2018; 66: 12685–95. doi: 10.1021/acs.jafc.8b04624.
- Ding Y, Gu Z, Wang Y, Wang S, Chen H, Zhang H, et al. Clove extract functions as a natural fatty acid synthesis inhibitor and prevents obesity in a mouse model. Food Funct 2017; 8: 2847–56. doi: 10.1039/c7fo00096k.
- Ma S, Jing F, Xu C, Zhou L, Song Y, Yu C, et al. Thyrotropin and obesity: increased adipose triglyceride content through glycerol-3-phosphate acyltransferase 3. Sci Rep 2015; 5: 7633. doi: 10.1038/srep07633.
- Jiang C, Xie C, Lv Y, Li J, Krausz KW, Shi J, et al. Intestine-selective farnesoid X receptor inhibition improves obesity-related metabolic dysfunction. Nat Commun 2015; 6: 10166. doi: 10.1038/ncomms10166.
- Ipsen DH, Lykkesfeldt J, Tveden-Nyborg P. Molecular mechanisms of hepatic lipid accumulation in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Cell Mol Life Sci 2018; 75: 3313–27. doi: 10.1007/s00018-018-2860-6.
- Kwon EY, Jung UJ, Park T, Yun JW, Choi MS. Luteolin attenuates hepatic steatosis and insulin resistance through the interplay between the liver and adipose tissue in mice with diet-induced obesity. Diabetes 2015; 64: 1658–69. doi: 10.2337/db14-0631.
- Mo L, Shen J, Liu Q, Zhang Y, Kuang J, Pu S, et al. Irisin is regulated by CAR in liver and is a mediator of hepatic glucose and lipid metabolism. Mol Endocrinol 2016; 30: 533–42. doi: 10.1210/me.2015-1292.
- Li Y, Zalzala M, Jadhav K, Xu Y, Kasumov T, Yin L, et al. Carboxylesterase 2 prevents liver steatosis by modulating lipolysis, endoplasmic reticulum stress, and lipogenesis and is regulated by hepatocyte nuclear factor 4 alpha in mice. Hepatology 2016; 63: 1860–74. doi: 10.1002/hep.28472.
- Yang W, Huang L, Gao J, Wen S, Tai Y, Chen M, et al. Betaine attenuates chronic alcoholinduced fatty liver by broadly regulating hepatic lipid metabolism. Mol Med Rep 2017; 16: 5225–34. doi: 10.3892/mmr.2017.7295.
- Softic S, Cohen DE, Kahn CR. Role of dietary fructose and hepatic De Novo lipogenesis in fatty liver disease. Dig Dis Sci 2016; 61: 1282–93. doi: 10.1007/s10620-016-4054-0.
- Softic S, Gupta MK, Wang GX, Fujisaka S, O’Neill BT, Rao TN, et al. Divergent effects of glucose and fructose on hepatic lipogenesis and insulin signaling. J Clin Invest 2017; 127: 4059–74. doi: 10.1172/JCI94585.
- Andrade JM, Paraiso AF, de Oliveira MV, Martins AM, Neto JF, Guimaraes AL, et al. Resveratrol attenuates hepatic steatosis in high-fat fed mice by decreasing lipogenesis and inflammation. Nutrition 2014; 30: 915–19. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2013.11.016.
- Bolsoni-Lopes A, Alonso-Vale MI. Lipolysis and lipases in white adipose tissue – An update. Arch Endocrinol Metab 2015; 59: 335–42. doi: 10.1590/2359-3997000000067
- Watt MJ, Holmes AG, Pinnamaneni SK, Garnham AP, Steinberg GR, Kemp BE, et al. Regulation of HSL serine phosphorylation in skeletal muscle and adipose tissue. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2006; 290: E500–8. doi: 10.1152/ajpendo.00361.2005.
- Hsiao PJ, Chiou HC, Jiang HJ, Lee MY, Hsieh TJ, Kuo KK. Pioglitazone enhances cytosolic lipolysis, beta-oxidation and autophagy to ameliorate hepatic steatosis. Sci Rep 2017; 7: 9030. doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-09702-3.
- Koutsari C, Jensen MD. Thematic review series: patient-oriented research. Free fatty acid metabolism in human obesity. J Lipid Res 2006; 47: 1643–50. doi: 10.1194/jlr.R600011-JLR200.
- Zhang H, Dellsperger KC, Zhang C. The link between metabolic abnormalities and endothelial dysfunction in type 2 diabetes: an update. Basic Res Cardiol 2012; 107: 237. doi: 10.1007/s00395-011-0237-1.
- Lewis GF, Carpentier A, Adeli K, Giacca A. Disordered fat storage and mobilization in the pathogenesis of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes. Endocr Rev 2002; 23: 201–29. doi: 10.1210/edrv.23.2.0461.
- Serra D, Mera P, Malandrino MI, Mir JF, Herrero L. Mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation in obesity. Antioxid Redox Signal 2013; 19: 269–84. doi: 10.1089/ars.2012.4875.
- He F, Jin JQ, Qin QQ, Zheng YQ, Li TT, Zhang Y, et al. Resistin regulates fatty acid beta oxidation by suppressing expression of peroxisome proliferator activator receptor gamma-coactivator 1alpha (PGC-1α). Cell Physiol Biochem 2018; 46: 2165–72. doi: 10.1159/000489546.
- Chen SD, Yang DI, Lin TK, Shaw FZ, Liou CW, Chuang YC. Roles of oxidative stress, apoptosis, PGC-1α and mitochondrial biogenesis in cerebral ischemia. Int J Mol Sci 2011; 12: 7199–215. doi: 10.3390/ijms12107199.
- Henique C, Mansouri A, Fumey G, Lenoir V, Girard J, Bouillaud F, et al. Increased mitochondrial fatty acid oxidation is sufficient to protect skeletal muscle cells from palmitate-induced apoptosis. J Biol Chem 2010; 285: 36818–27. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M110.170431.
- Dai J, Liang K, Zhao S, Jia W, Liu Y, Wu H, et al. Chemoproteomics reveals baicalin activates hepatic CPT1 to ameliorate diet-induced obesity and hepatic steatosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2018; 115: E5896–905. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1801745115.
- Perfield JW, Ortinau LC, Pickering RT, Ruebel ML, Meers GM, Rector RS. Altered hepatic lipid metabolism contributes to nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in leptin-deficient Ob/Ob mice. J Obes 2013; 2013: 296537. doi: 10.1155/2013/296537.
- Herrema H, Zhou Y, Zhang D, Lee J, Salazar Hernandez MA, Shulman GI, et al. XBP1s is an anti-lipogenic protein. J Biol Chem 2016; 291: 17394–404. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M116.728949.
- Laiglesia LM, Lorente-Cebrián S, Martínez-Fernández L, Sáinz N, Prieto-Hontoria PL, Burrell MA, et al. Maresin 1 mitigates liver steatosis in ob/ob and diet-induced obese mice. Int J Obes (Lond) 2018; 42: 572–79. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2017.226.
- Wang CC, Yen JH, Cheng YC, Lin CY, Hsieh CT, Gau RJ, et al. Polygala tenuifolia extract inhibits lipid accumulation in 3T3-L1 adipocytes and high-fat diet-induced obese mouse model and affects hepatic transcriptome and gut microbiota profiles. Food Nutr Res 2017; 61: 1379861. doi: 10.1080/16546628.2017.1379861.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
Authors retain copyright of their work, with first publication rights granted to SNF Swedish Nutrition Foundation.