Associations of dietary anthocyanidins intake with body composition in Chinese children: a cross-sectional study
Background: Previous animal and in vitro studies indicated that anthocyanidins might contribute to the prevention of obesity, while epidemiological evidences were scarce and had not been conducted in children.
Objective: We explored the associations between anthocyanidins and body composition in children.
Design: A cross-sectional study involving 452 children aged 6–9 years in Guangzhou, China, was carried out. Dietary information was collected using a 79-items food frequency questionnaire. Fat mass (FM), lean mass (LM), and fat mass percentage (FMP) at multi-sites (whole body, trunk, limbs, android area, and gynoid area) were measured using a dual-energy X-ray scan. Abdominal obesity was defined as an age- and sex-specific abdominal FM ≥ 85th percentile. Handgrip strength was measured using a hydraulic hand dynamometer.
Results: After adjusted for several potential covariates, higher dietary intake of anthocyanidin (per one standard deviation increase) was associated with a 0.013–0.223 kg increase of LM, a 0.024–0.134 kg decrease of FM, and a 0.63–0.76% decrease of FMP at multi-sites (P < 0.05). Results were similar and more pronounced for delphinidin and cyanidin, but less significant for peonidin. Higher dietary anthocyanidin intake (per standard deviation increase) was associated with a 41.0% (OR: 0.59, 95%CI: 0.37, 0.94) decreased risk of abdominal obesity. However, no significant associations were observed between anthocyanidin and handgrip strengths.
Conclusions: Higher dietary intake of anthocyanidin and its components tended to be associated with better body composition, but not handgrip strength, in Chinese children at early age.
- Afshin A, Forouzanfar MH, Reitsma MB, Sur P, Estep K, Lee A, et al. Health effects of overweight and obesity in 195 countries over 25 years. N Engl J Med 2017; 377(1): 13–27. doi: 10.1056/NEJMoa1614362
- Ng M, Fleming T, Robinson M, Thomson B, Graetz N, Margono C, et al. Global, regional, and national prevalence of overweight and obesity in children and adults during 1980–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. Lancet 2014; 384(9945): 766–81. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60460-8
- McCrindle BW. Cardiovascular consequences of childhood obesity. Can J Cardiol 2015; 31(2): 124–30. doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2014.08.017
- Censin JC, Nowak C. Childhood adiposity and risk of type 1 diabetes: a Mendelian randomization study. PLoS Med 2017; 14(8): e1002362. doi: 10.1371/journal.pmed.1002362
- Dangardt F, Charakida M, Georgiopoulos G, Chiesa ST, Rapala A, Wade KH, et al. Association between fat mass through adolescence and arterial stiffness: a population-based study from the Avon longitudinal study of parents and children. Lancet Child Adolesc Health 2019; 3(7): 474–81. doi: 10.1016/S2352-4642(19)30105-1
- Aragon AA, Schoenfeld BJ, Wildman R, Kleiner S, VanDussel-dorp T, Taylor L, et al. International society of sports nutrition position stand: diets and body composition. J Int Soc Sports Nutr 2017; 14: 16. doi: 10.1186/s12970-017-0174-y
- Yao M, McCrory MA, Ma G, Tucker KL, Gao S, Fuss P, et al. Relative influence of diet and physical activity on body composition in urban Chinese adults. Am J Clin Nutr 2003; 77(6): 1409–16. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/77.6.1409
- Kerksick CM, Roberts MD, Campbell BI, Galbreath MM, Taylor LW, Wilborn CD, et al. Differential impact of calcium and vitamin D on body composition changes in post-menopausal women following a restricted energy diet and exercise program. Nutrients 2020; 12(3): 713. doi: 10.3390/nu12030713
- Hashimoto Y, Fukuda T, Oyabu C, Tanaka M, Asano M, Yamazaki M, et al. Impact of low-carbohydrate diet on body composition: meta-analysis of randomized controlled studies. Obes Rev 2016; 17(6): 499–509. doi: 10.1111/obr.12405
- Kocic B, Filipovic S, Nikolic M, Petrovic B. Effects of anthocyanins and anthocyanin-rich extracts on the risk for cancers of the gastrointestinal tract. J BUON 2011; 16(4): 602–8. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22331709. (accessed on 19 March 2021)
- Mink PJ, Scrafford CG, Barraj LM, Harnack L, Hong CP, Nettleton JA, et al. Flavonoid intake and cardiovascular disease mortality: a prospective study in postmenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr 2007; 85(3): 895–909. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/85.3.895
- Muraki I, Imamura F, Manson JE, Hu FB, Willett WC, van Dam RM, et al. Fruit consumption and risk of type 2 diabetes: results from three prospective longitudinal cohort studies. BMJ 2013; 347: f5001. doi: 10.1136/bmj.f5001
- Molagoda IMN, Lee KT, Choi YH, Kim GY. Anthocyanins from Hibiscus syriacus L. inhibit oxidative stress-mediated apoptosis by activating the Nrf2/HO-1 signaling pathway. Antioxidants (Basel) 2020; 9(1): 42. doi: 10.3390/antiox9010042
- Aboonabi A, Aboonabi A. Anthocyanins reduce inflammation and improve glucose and lipid metabolism associated with inhibiting nuclear factor-kappaB activation and increasing PPAR-γ gene expression in metabolic syndrome subjects. Free Radic Biol Med 2020; 150: 30–9. doi: 10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2020.02.004
- Gomes JVP, Rigolon TCB, Souza M, Alvarez-Leite JI, Lucia CMD, Martino HSD, et al. Antiobesity effects of anthocyanins on mitochondrial biogenesis, inflammation, and oxidative stress: a systematic review. Nutrition 2019; 66: 192–202. doi: 10.1016/j.nut.2019.05.005
- Lee YM, Yoon Y, Yoon H, Park HM, Song S, Yeum KJ. Dietary anthocyanins against obesity and inflammation. Nutrients 2017; 9(10). doi: 10.3390/nu9101089
- Lee M, Sorn SR, Park Y, Park HK. Anthocyanin rich-black soybean testa improved visceral fat and plasma lipid profiles in overweight/obese Korean adults: a randomized controlled trial. J Med Food 2016; 19(11): 995–1003. doi: 10.1089/jmf.2016.3762
- Solverson PM, Rumpler WV, Leger JL, Redan BW. Blackberry feeding increases fat oxidation and improves insulin sensitivity in overweight and obese males. Nutrients 2018; 10(8): 1048. doi: 10.3390/nu10081048
- Lehtonen HM, Suomela JP, Tahvonen R, Yang B, Venojarvi M, Viikari J, et al. Different berries and berry fractions have various but slightly positive effects on the associated variables of metabolic diseases on overweight and obese women. Eur J Clin Nutr 2011; 65(3): 394–401. doi: 10.1038/ejcn.2010.268
- Bertoia ML, Rimm EB, Mukamal KJ, Hu FB, Willett WC, Cassidy A. Dietary flavonoid intake and weight maintenance: three prospective cohorts of 124,086 US men and women followed for up to 24 years. BMJ 2016; 352: i17. doi: 10.1136/bmj.i17
- Li G, Zhu Y, Zhang Y, Lang J, Chen Y, Ling W. Estimated daily flavonoid and stilbene intake from fruits, vegetables, and nuts and associations with lipid profiles in Chinese adults. J Acad Nutr Diet 2013; 113(6): 786–94. doi: 10.1016/j.jand.2013.01.018
- Chen G, Yan H, Hao Y, Shrestha S, Wang J, Li Y, et al. Comparison of various anthropometric indices in predicting abdominal obesity in Chinese children: a cross-sectional study. BMC Pediatrics 2019; 19(1): 127. doi: 10.1186/s12887-019-1501-z
- Zhang CX, Ho SC. Validity and reproducibility of a food frequency questionnaire among Chinese women in Guangdong province. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr 2009; 18(2): 240–50. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19713184/
- Yang YX, Wang GY, Pan XW. China food composition table. Beijing: Peking University Medical Press; 2009.
- Yang YX. China food composition table. Beijing: Peking University Medical Press; 2018.
- Willett W, Stampfer MJ. Total energy intake: implications for epidemiologic analyses. Am J Epidemiol 1986; 124(1): 17–27. doi: 10.1093/oxfordjournals.aje.a114366
- Bouchard C, Tremblay A, Leblanc C, Lortie G, Savard R, Thériault G. A method to assess energy expenditure in children and adults. Am J Clin Nutr 1983; 37(3): 461–7. doi: 10.1093/ajcn/37.3.461
- Azzini E, Venneria E, Ciarapica D, Foddai MS, Intorre F, Zaccaria M, et al. Effect of red orange juice consumption on body composition and nutritional status in overweight/obese female: a pilot study. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2017; 2017: 1672567. doi: 10.1155/2017/1672567
- Stull AJ, Cash KC, Johnson WD, Champagne CM, Cefalu WT. Bioactives in blueberries improve insulin sensitivity in obese, insulin-resistant men and women. J Nutr 2010; 140(10): 1764–8. doi: 10.3945/jn.110.125336
- Basu A, Fu DX, Wilkinson M, Simmons B, Wu M, Betts NM, et al. Strawberries decrease atherosclerotic markers in subjects with metabolic syndrome. Nutr Res 2010; 30(7): 462–9. doi: 10.1016/j.nutres.2010.06.016
- Prior RL, Wilkes S, Rogers T, Khanal RC, Wu X, Hager TJ, et al. Dietary black raspberry anthocyanins do not alter development of obesity in mice fed an obesogenic high-fat diet. J Agric Food Chem 2010; 58(7): 3977–83. doi: 10.1021/jf9030772
- Kim J, Lee Y, Kye S, Chung YS, Kim KM. Association of vegetables and fruits consumption with sarcopenia in older adults: the Fourth Korea National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Age Ageing 2015; 44(1): 96–102. doi: 10.1093/ageing/afu028
- Jen V, Karagounis LG, Jaddoe VWV, Franco OH, Voortman T. Dietary protein intake in school-age children and detailed measures of body composition: the generation R study. Int J Obes 2018; 42(10): 1715–23. doi: 10.1038/s41366-018-0098-x
- Sergeev IN, Song Q. High vitamin D and calcium intakes reduce diet-induced obesity in mice by increasing adipose tissue apoptosis. Mol Nutr Food Res 2014; 58(6): 1342–8. doi: 10.1002/mnfr.201300503
- Doucet E, Almeras N, White MD, Despres JP, Bouchard C, Tremblay A. Dietary fat composition and human adiposity. Eur J Clin Nutr 1998; 52(1): 2–6. doi: 10.1038/sj.ejcn.1600500
- Rouillier MA, David-Riel S, Brazeau AS, St-Pierre DH, Karelis AD. Effect of an acute high carbohydrate diet on body composition using DXA in young men. Ann Nutr Metab 2015; 66(4): 233–6. doi: 10.1159/000435840
- Wedick NM, Pan A, Cassidy A, Rimm EB, Sampson L, Rosner B, et al. Dietary flavonoid intakes and risk of type 2 diabetes in US men and women. Am J Clin Nutr 2012; 95(4): 925–33. doi: 10.3945/ajcn.111.028894
- Li D, Wang P, Luo Y, Zhao M, Chen F. Health benefits of anthocyanins and molecular mechanisms: update from recent decade. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr 2017; 57(8): 1729–41. doi: 10.1080/10408398.2015.1030064
- Hou DX, Yanagita T, Uto T, Masuzaki S, Fujii M. Anthocyanidins inhibit cyclooxygenase-2 expression in LPS-evoked macrophages: structure-activity relationship and molecular mechanisms involved. Biochem Pharmacol 2005; 70(3): 417–25. doi: 10.1016/j.bcp.2005.05.003
- Mazza G, Kay CD, Cottrell T, Holub BJ. Absorption of anthocyanins from blueberries and serum antioxidant status in human subjects. J Agric Food Chem 2002; 50(26): 7731–7. doi: 10.1021/jf020690l
- Santilli F, Guagnano MT, Vazzana N, La Barba S, Davi G. Oxidative stress drivers and modulators in obesity and cardiovascular disease: from biomarkers to therapeutic approach. Curr Med Chem 2015; 22(5): 582–95. doi: 10.2174/0929867322666141128163739
- Taverniti V, Fracassetti D, Del Bo C, Lanti C, Minuzzo M, Klimis-Zacas D, et al. Immunomodulatory effect of a wild blueberry anthocyanin-rich extract in human Caco-2 intestinal cells. J Agric Food Chem 2014; 62(33): 8346–51. doi: 10.1021/jf502180j
- Poulose SM, Fisher DR, Larson J, Bielinski DF, Rimando AM, Carey AN, et al. Anthocyanin-rich acai (Euterpe oleracea Mart.) fruit pulp fractions attenuate inflammatory stress signaling in mouse brain BV-2 microglial cells. J Agric Food Chem 2012; 60(4): 1084–93. doi: 10.1021/jf203989k
- Guo H, Guo J, Jiang X, Li Z, Ling W. Cyanidin-3-O-beta-glucoside, a typical anthocyanin, exhibits antilipolytic effects in 3T3-L1 adipocytes during hyperglycemia: involvement of FoxO1-mediated transcription of adipose triglyceride lipase. Food Chem Toxicol 2012; 50(9): 3040–7. doi: 10.1016/j.fct.2012.06.015
- Jamar G, Estadella D, Pisani LP. Contribution of anthocyanin-rich foods in obesity control through gut microbiota interactions. Biofactors 2017; 43(4): 507–16. doi: 10.1002/biof.1365
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Authors retain copyright of their work, with first publication rights granted to SNF Swedish Nutrition Foundation. Read the full Copyright- and Licensing Statement.